Sunday, July 1, 2007

Recap of Last Week

June 29th, 2007

Recap of Last Week

Wesayo from Bundibugyo! We just arrived back into the district last evening. It was a long and very bumpy car ride from Fort Portal. It is so good to be back. It is amazing how I’ve only lived here for about three weeks, yet as we were driving back in to the Christ School complex, I felt like I was coming home.

The situation at Christ School is much better. Praise God. The students have been coming back by grade level at a staggered pace, every two days or so. They are arriving with their parents and having discussions with the teachers. So far, everything has been peaceful, which is a huge answer to prayer. In talking to some of the students, I’ve gathered that they are happy to be back and return to their studies, though some say that the rules will still be difficult to follow. Please continue to pray for peace as the students will still be coming back in waves until next week.

Our vacation was wonderful! We had time to rest, study God’s word, have fellowship, and enjoy God’s creation. The first day was spent hiking 14 miles over the Rwenzori Mountains. The journey was difficult as many parts were steep and very muddy from the rainy season. However, the view from the top was breath taking and made it totally worthwhile. We made a friend along the way, a Ugandan national. Though we didn’t speak his language, he was helpful in finding us all walking sticks and just being an encouraging, cheerful presence. It is amazing that many Ugandans live high up on the mountain and travel it weekly, if not daily. They really put us to shame. We were passed by many children, a herd of goats, a boy carrying a chicken, and my favorite, an old woman carrying about 50 pounds of sticks on her back.

The next two days were spent in Fort Portal where we did a Sonship discipleship course. It was great to take time away from our busy schedules to really meditate on the Bible and search our hearts. I left the retreat more thankful for God’s grace and resting in his promise that I am his child. God really worked to bring unity to build his church in this time. Oh, and the hot showers were nice too. J

The final portion of our journey was spent on safari. We were blessed to see many elephants, warthogs, water buffalo, water buck, hippos, crocodiles, and impala. My favorite was the lion. It was absolutely stunning. Just to see the way it walks with such authority. It’s astounding.

Today was a big day for the church in Bundibugyo. We had the dedication of the book of Acts, which was just translated into Lubwisi. The ceremony at the church lasted for about seven hours and was marked by much joy and excitement. Many members from the Wycliffe translating team were there to celebrate the accomplishment. The people in the church waited eagerly to purchase a copy. Many started reading as soon as they received it. It made me think of the years in my life where my Bible sat collecting dust in my room. And here is this group of Christians that for years have gone without the Word of God in their native tongue. It’s a pretty sickening thought for me. However, God is gracious and has given me a love for his word. And he is equipping translators to bring his word to the Babwisi in Bundibugyo. Praise Him! We pray that the Holy Spirit will move in power to build the church here in Bundibugyo, just as he did in the early 1st century church.

Please be in prayer for this week of transition. Pray that I will be able to direct my students back into school mode and continue to pour out love and grace to them, while maintaining authority. Also, please pray for my health. I have an infection on my face. It is not painful, just hideous looking. Despite the fact that my eye was swollen shut yesterday, it is fun to joke about my ogre eye. The Myhres are taking good care of me and I am on antibiotics, so the infection is going away. It just seems that any open wound here in Africa will most likely get infected, so it is easy to get sick.

Well, I think that’s about it for now. Thank you so much for your support, and encouraging messages. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,

Andrea, AKA Quasimoto

No comments: