Monday, August 6, 2007

Back in the US

Hello everyone. We have arrived safely in the US. I have been back for a good week now. I apologize for the delay in this last post. Things have been a bit crazy with jet lag, catching up with family and I recovering from another African infection.

It's very strange to be back here. Everything is so clean and bright. There are so many choices and the pace of life is much faster. Uganda seems very distant, almost dream-like. There aren't many things here that are similar to Uganda, so its hard to make it seem real.

The last week in Bundibugyo was difficult. On one hand, we were anxious to get back, but on the other hand, it was difficult to say goodbye to the friends that we had made. Goodbyes are difficult in the first place. But to say goodbye and not know if you'll ever see your friend again on this earth is even more difficult.

The last day of teaching at Christ School was very special. We had about 20 minutes of chemistry lesson, then I told them my students a story about vision and the importance of setting goals and praying to God for them. So many of the students are talented and have great goals. I believe one of the primary problems in Africa is a lack of strong leadership. I pray my students see that God has blessed them to become Christian leaders among their people. After we talked about vision, some of my students stood up to thank me. Their words were really encouraging. One of my students, Betty, said that even though the students disrespected me at times, I came back and was still kind to them. She said that in this way, I showed them God's love. I've been thinking about that. I think about how disciplining students is one of my weak areas as a teacher. Yet, God loves to use our weaknesses as strengths. Though I often lack the firm authority as a teacher, God used this as an opportunity to show love and grace. Its only because I know the love and forgiveness of Jesus, that I was able to show this to my students. I'm really thankful to have been used in this way.

There are many of girls at Christ School that I would love to stay in contact with. There are also a handful of girls that would like pen pals from America. If anyone is interested in this, you can email me at weibelam1@gcc.edu.

This summer as been truly remarkable. I have seen God work in my heart and the hearts of others. I thank you for sending me, supporting me, and upholding me in prayer. I truly believe that God's kingdom has been advanced as more people know Jesus in a deeper way. Thank you and be blessed.

No comments: